For those of you who didn’t know.. Play-N-Skillz are the Grammy winning brothers/hip hop artists/production duo from Texas. The boys are planning on releasing their next project entitled “Fireworks” on July 4th, and S17 is lucky enough to be sponsoring it. “Survivor” is the first leak off of Fireworks and it’s a complete power track. For two people who came to fame through their production, I was incredibly impressed with the quality of the vocals. This crazy anthemic party track will definitely stay on heavy rotation in the car, at the gym, and at parties until the next leak drops and the whole project is available. In the meantime, “like” Play-N-Skillz on Facebook, “follow” them on Twitter , and make sure to keep checking back here for the second leak.
Intrigued? You should be. Sub17 has teamed up with Tsunami and many other popular music blogs to provide you with this incredible opportunity to show off your music, and potentially win $1,000. Tsunami is a software developing company that creates awesome interactive music apps for iPhones & iPod touch. Their self-named app “Tsunami” features stations for both artists and blogs. From now -April 30th we will be taking submissions of up to 10 tracks, a photo, twitter/facebook links, and any other important information by way of email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The best submissions will be forwarded to the owner of Tsunami, and if it is approved he will create a station for you with the materials that you have sent to me. Once your station is created you will become a part of the s17 “team”. The owner of the most populated station on 11:59 p.m. on April 30th will be declared winner, and awarded $1,000.
Basically what i’m saying here, is that in one simple email you’re opening yourself up to the opportunity to have your own station on an iPhone app, and win $1,000. Basically, you would be crazy not to. Looking forward to checking out your submissions!
Cam Meekins bringin’ the heat
Super impressive new Cam Meekins produced by Big Jerm of ID Labs in Pittsburgh PA, where Mac Miller and Wiz Khalifa both record. “Prettier Things” was released this afternoon as the last leak off of his upcoming mixtape “1993″ set to drop on March 1st. Cam shows off his impressive flow and lyrical ability on this track that has a much more hip-hop vibe than some of his other tracks that cater to more of a pop-loving audience.
It’s finally here! For the past four years i’ve spent the weeks after New Years Eve anxiously waiting for XXL Magazines freshman issue to come out. I had my predictions this year, and only a few of them came true. Let’s break this down real quick:
The Good: These are the artists that I think actually deserve their spot on one of the most respected lists in hip-hop.
- Mac Miller – All personal bias aside (know and love the dude) I think Mac Miller has worked hard to earn his spot on the cover of XXL this year. Not only do I respect the hell out of his work ethic and think that all of the work he puts out (from The Jukebox to K.I.D.S) has been incredible, I also respect the fact that he’s had to prove himself in the rap game being that he’s much younger, and much whiter than everyone else. Mazel Tov Malcolm.
- Yelawolf – This hillbilly has super swag. From the first time I heard “Box Chevy pt 3″ or “I Wish ft. Raekwon” i’ve fully supported everything this Alabama native has released. He’s got a unique flow and he provides true talent – no gimmicks.
- CyHi The Prynce – Anyone with a Kanye West cosign is cool with me. CyHi has proven himself worthy of the “Freshman” title all year long with features on tracks like “I Wish” mentioned above, “Christmas In Harlem”, and of course my favorite “Ray Ban Vision”.
- Big K.R.I.T – Wow, wasn’t expecting this one. That being said, i’m pretty happy about it. K.R.I.T Wuz Here was a masterpiece of a mixtape, and he showed off his versatility when he pulled off a dope track with Frat Rap’s own Chris Webby.
- Meek Mill – I’ll be honest, up until about three months ago I hadn’t heard of Meek Mill, but since then i’ve been hooked. This dude knows what he’s doing. I wasn’t necessarily expecting to see him on the cover of XXL, but none the less he’s a real artist and he’ll do great things with the extra attention this feature will bring.
The Bad: These are the artists who I personally don’t think deserved/earned their spot on the list
- Lil B – Seriously? Lil B?! I don’t understand 99.9% of the things this guy says, like I literally can’t decipher the words coming out of his mouth. Do people really consider that noise to be music? Who are you? Why are you so dumb? Why the hell are you on the cover of my XXL? This has to be some kind of weird publicity stunt, I can think of about 50 people that would be better.
- Diggy Simmons – Sure he’s adorable or whatever, yeah, his dad is the Rev which is awesome, but does that make him a good rapper? No… not really. He’s got a decent amount of talent, but with the exception of Willow Smith (that’s my bitch) I have a really hard time respecting people that didn’t have to do any work to achieve success. Diggy is one of those people, and he doesn’t even deny it. Daddy can only get you so far.
- Lil Twist – Do I really even need to justify why he’s here? I think not.
The Who? I like to think that i’m pretty knowledgable with current hip hop & rap music, but these are the artists on the list who i’ve honestly never even heard of. If any of you know who these people are/like their music, feel free to hit me up at email@example.com and drop some knowledge.
- Kendrick Lamar
- Fred The Godson
Lastly, I won’t go into too much detail because this is already unnecessarily long and I doubt anyone besides my dad is still reading (hi dad), is a list of some of the new artists that I would have liked to see on this years list instead of some of the “bad” and the “who” artists that i’ve listed above. Feel free to sound off in the comments section and let me know what you guys think/any other artists you thought should have made the list -
- Machine Gun Kelly
* Our lovely commenters have informed me that Nipsey & Currensy have already made the list, oops. In that case, add Smoke DZA and Tyler The Creator to my list, absolute bosses.
Why didn’t I think of this? Complete genius. Current music updates brought to you by 6 music industry professionals all from the comfort of your own facebook news feed & twitter timeline. It’s a genius idea because it brings new music to even the laziest listeners. You literally don’t need to do anything besides sit down and refresh your facebook, and lets be honest, you’re probably doing that already anyway. Hit “like” here, and “follow” here, and sit back while Max, Zeke, Lydia, Spencer, Sam and Gabz do the rest of the work for you.
As you may have noticed… the “Be A Part of The S17 Team” tab at the top of the page is back. We’ve had a great few weeks since we starting posting again with the new team (Sarah, Alex, Adam and Bridget) but there’s been a lot of new music recently and not enough people to post it. We’ve also planned out a bunch of really exciting things for the website, but we want to make sure we have a solid team together before we get going with any of it. We all decided that it would be beneficial to add another member, so we’re encouraging all of our readers to apply! Check out the info about the application process here, we’re looking forward to hearing from you .
- Becky & Bridget